Last month Matt Queen joined more than 8,000 riders to cycle 100km from Southbank to Southport. Matt chose to support Lifeline on this ride, not only for the support they have given Sodexo in establishing the I Hear You campaign, but for the amazing work they do for people in crisis.
Thank you to everyone at Sodexo who donated to Matt’s cycle, we raised more than $2,400 for Lifeline. This will help Lifeline respond to some of the 65,000 phone calls they receive this month.
Enjoy the holiday season
As we head towards the holiday season, a time for celebration, added social and financial pressures, overindulging and fatigue can cause mood changes and anxiety. We want to share with you some practical tips, on ways you can minimise the stress that accompanies this time of year, so you can enjoy yourself in a healthy and safe way:
- Reflect – Reflect on the personal pledge that you made during Mental Health week
- Be realistic – The holidays don’t have to be perfect or the same as previous years. Hold on to some traditions and create some new ones
- Stick to a budget – Before you go food and present shopping, make a list and stick to it. Consider starting a holiday fund that you contribute to throughout the year to ease the financial burden
- Don’t abandon healthy habits – Overindulgence only adds to your stress and guilt
- Plan ahead – This will help reduce stress and feeling overwhelmed. Make lists and be sure to enlist help if you need it
- Acknowledge your feelings and reach out if you need to – If you feel lonely or isolated, seek out community, religious or other social events. They can offer support and companionship. Volunteering to help others is also a good way to lift your spirits and broaden your friendships
- Give yourself a break – while you may want to please everyone, take some time to do the things that YOU enjoy
- Listen out – Listen to your colleagues, friends and family members and help ensure they are not afraid to speak out about their problems, or left wondering where they can turn for help
- Seek professional help if you need to – if you or anyone you know is currently experiencing feelings of stress, anxiety or depression please encourage them to phone
- Lifeline on 13 11 14, or
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) on 1300 360 364.
All contact made with EAP and Lifeline is strictly confidential. Employees will not be identified to Sodexo and we encourage you to actively seek assistance if needed, whether it is for yourself, on behalf of a colleague or in support of your family. It will not matter if someone calls either number as both services are available to support our people.
Know that you can be heard; believe that you will be listened to.