Sodexo’s Summer Hydration Station. Drink to your health!
Have you ever thought to yourself, “I don’t drink enough water”? If so, you’re not alone – many of us feel like we can do a better job hydrating our bodies, especially in the extreme heat of the Australian summer.
Since water makes up about 60% of our total body weight, every cell, tissue, and organ in your body needs water to function correctly. Water also helps to keep our internal temperature stable and helps transport oxygen throughout the body. Early warning signs of dehydration can include thirst, headache, dizziness, irritability, fatigue, and muscle cramps. Severe dehydration can even lead to cognitive and physical impairment, nausea, fainting and loss of consciousness.
As a general rule of thumb, men need about 3 litres of fluids daily and women need about 2.2 litres with an additional litre for every hour of exercise or manual labour.
To keep this at the top of mind, Sodexo wellness teams at Greater Hope Downs and Yandi sites set up hydration stations with information and refreshing naturally flavoured options to encourage people to drink up!
Here are some Sodexo wellness tips to stay hydrated all day:
- Start your day with a glass of water with breakfast
- Make it convenient, bring water with you everywhere you go – keep a reusable water bottle with you throughout the day. This will encourage you to drink all day long, even if you don’t feel thirsty.
- If you’re tired of plain water, try a flavored sparkling water, infused water (with fruits, vegetables, or mint), or add a splash of 100% fruit juice to your flat/sparkling water
- Avoid dehydrating salty foods and diuretic drinks like coffee
Make it a positive habit!
- Assign it to another habit – ie: if you’re in and out of the car all day, take a sip just before you put your seatbelt
- Set goals – ie: finish my water container 3 x by the end of the shift
- Schedule it – every hour on the dot ensure you have a drink
- Reminders – set up reminders on your phone or use an app or alarm on your watch